Archive for August 24th, 2011
Lets get something clear…I have no problem with our president taking a vacation. Does not matter to me one bit. Reason being is that the president is never free from the crap going on in the world or the U.S. Any president who is on “vacation” never really is. With that being said, I do take issue with the Barry and Michelle’s bad decision to take separate flights to Martha’s Vineyard – Never mind what a total PR screw up this was. Michelle Obama and daughters, who arrived just four hours earlier, were also travelling from Washington, but took a specially designed military aircraft. Not to mention they would also have had their own motorcade from the airport to the vacation residence.
FIRST LADY OF LUXURY TRAVEL: HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE OBAMAS’ LAVISH GETAWAYS OVER THE PAST 12 MONTHS
GIRLS’ TRIP TO SPAIN: AUGUST 2010
The exact cost is unclear as Mrs Obama and her 40 friends footed many personal expenses, such as hotels and meals themselves.
But the U.S. taxpayer would have paid for the First Lady’s 68-strong security detail, personal staff, and use of presidential jet Air Force Two.
Per diems for the secret service team runs at around $281 each – nearly $98,000 for the length of the summer break.
Use of Air Force Two, the Air Force version of a 757, comes in at $149,900 for the round trip. This does not include time on the ground.
Mrs Obama’s personal staff, of which there are an unknown amount and might cost considerably more per day, should also be taken into account.
CHRISTMAS BREAK IN HAWAII: DECEMBER 2010
According to the Hawaii Reporter, the bill for the $1.5m trip included:
- $63,000 on an early flight bringing Mrs Obama and the children to Hawaii ahead of the President.
- $1,000,000 on Mr Obama’s return trip from Washington on Air Force One.
- $38,000 for the ‘Winter White House’ beach property rental.
- $16,000 to rent nearby homes for Secret Service and Navy Seals.
- $134,000 for 24 White House staff to stay at the Moana Hotel.
- $251,000 in police overtime.
- $10,000 for an ambulance to be on hand at all times
SKI TRIP TO VAIL: FEBRUARY 2011
Mrs Obama and her daughters stayed at the Sebastian hotel on Vail Mountain, where rooms cost more than $2,400 for multi-bedroom suites.
The family appear to have flown there on Air Force Two.
They were escorted to the resort by a motorcade of about a dozen vehicles, including 15 state and local law enforcement officers
SUMMER HOLIDAY ON MARTHA’S VINEYARD: AUGUST 2011
The Blue Heron Farm estate, where the Obama family are currently staying, rents for about $50,000 a week.
According to U.S. News and World Report, the Coast Guard is required to keep ships floating near the property, the presidential helicopter and jet remain at the ready and security agents will be on 24-hour duty.
It’s good to be Queen. – John Roycroft
- Globe Magazine: Obama’s Booze Breakdown… (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Obama Vacation, Day 6: Martha’s Vineyard (PHOTOS) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Michelle Obama Vacation Scandal (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Burn Baby Burn, Your Money, That Is! (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Obamas arrive for luxury vacay on separate jets hours apart, costing taxpayers thousands (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- King And Queen Of America: Seperate Vacations, To Same Place On Our Dime. (doesitallmatter2.wordpress.com)